Tuesday, October 28, 2008

October 29

1. Robert Gibbs evaluates Main Streets by looking at the stores that are on that street. I thought it was interesting how he said that some objects, such as trees and boxes look nice however, they block the store itself. Also, how tables and benches make the area seem inviting however, teenagers will scare people away. I actually did this and I never thought I was frightening people, kind of makes me feel powerful. I also thought it was interesting that the area's surroundings can actually distract people from the stores. It seems ironic because these are the things that are used to attract people to the area. He also talked about the cleanliness of the area. If the area is dirty, then no one will come. Also a main street should never be accessible only through a left turn only, because people will not go through on coming traffic.
2. I do not think that Main Street should be a mall. I think that main street is like a mall however, there are some differences that make the shopping experience much different. I thought it was funny that Gibbs would try to think like a woman when evaluating a shopping area.
3. I would want a main street to seem inviting without distracting anything from the actual stores. I want stores that make the area appealing. For instance, I would not want any pawn shops or liquor stores nearby.

No comments: