Thursday, October 2, 2008

Simplicity is Highly Overrated

1. I remember buying my phone because the features that it had looked very cool; it's feature included having two sides (One the actual the phone and the other the media part) . The phone just looked much better than the ones that were being offered. All the other phones seemed boring compared to the one I purchased.

2. I think that complexity can only be justified on something that can do many different things, such as a computer. I think complexity is acceptable on a computer because a computer is a complex thing to begin with. It has different parts, different functions and people usually just deal with complexities. Also, a computer is something that most people need, they would not be able to function without it, like a person without their coffee. I think simplicity is most important on a product that values function over form, such as a kitchen knife.

3. "Water, quite simply, is the covalent bond existing between two hydrogen and a singular oxygen. I would assume that above a certain level of purification, differences among brands is negligible. But purification level or technique is not why people often purchase a specific brand of water. Oftentimes something as trite as water is purchased based on packaging alone as certain package designs tug at our heartstrings, and those especially beautiful ones of niche market brands serve as long-lasting mementos. What emotional beings we are!"
I chose this quote by Javin because I thought it accurately describes how people buy things not because of need but because of a connection they develop with a product. It seems funny that something as simple as a bottle could be turned into something that can create different emotions.

No comments: